Monday, September 26, 2016

Things I wished I had done in my 20s...



Now that I am about to turn 34 I have been thinking about some of the things I regret not doing while I was younger. I waited until I was 28 to marry and I was still dragging my feet on that one. Although I worried about losing my independence I am happy that I have a very understanding husband who deals well with my mood swings lol. We are just now thinking about having kids. I was never prepared for kids in my 20s. I am barely prepared now. I realize that many people say that if you wait until you are completely ready for kids you will never have them. Like that is supposed to make me forget about being completely unprepared financially. Mounds of student debt, regular debt, two crappy cars and a few family members that will never grow up. And I am not one of those people that just decides to do something while forgetting the consequences. I have siblings for that. My point is if I do not feel ready to have kids I would rather just not have any. Why bring a child in to this world of debt that I have created for my self. I know I will be able to take care of this debt on my own but if I have a kid no way. All my money would go to the child. I really did not mean to get on a tangent about kids but it is what it is. So here is my list of things that every 20 something should attempt to do no matter what..

1. Travel... Travel... and more Travel
I realize that this is probably a given to most people in there 20s but not me. I never had any money and I was always in school or working. I seriously regret not doing a summer in Spain or backpacking through the countryside. I now have no cool stories to tell anyone. And yes I know traveling costs money but do it anyway. Find the money. Once you get married and start talking about kids it may be awhile.


2. Live at home as long as possible....if you can
I know that there is a stereotype of our generation saying that we are lazy and are relying on our parents too much. So what! Staying at home with you parents at least while attending college will cut down on costs and your stress level. When I turned 18, I was ready to head out on my own. Now I regret it. Not only was I stressing about exams and papers but I was also stressing about bills. Though stressing about bills never goes away you can push it back by staying at home for a few more years. And if you do feel like getting a job, I would stick to a part time one and put as much money as you can in a savings account. So when you do move out you will have the money.

3. Be Selfish as F*ck...
I know it may seem like I am being kind of mean and blunt but it has to be done. I spent a lot of my 20s making sure my siblings did not die because they continued to make bad decisions in life. That doesn't really change either. We are all in our 30s now and I had to relieve myself of them. If you have any toxic family members or friends do not let them bring you down. Once you hit 30 you start to realize that it is the quality of friends not the quantity. I really only have a couple friends now and I am so happy with that. It may be a little harder to distance yourself from family members. Before my dad died he made me promise to watch out for my older sister and being that I am a good daughter I can't just leave her  to her own devices. You may not be able to get rid of family but you can choose how you handle them. As long as they are not self destructive let them be. There is only so much that you can do.




Ok so I just vented to who ever would listen. Had my first day at a new job today which I feel is way below my IQ level but everyone has to start some where. So I may be working through some things.

No comments:

Post a Comment